Lost In Time Blanket

One of my many WIPs at the moment is a Lost In Time Shawl.  I discovered this wonderful pattern by Johanna at Mijo Crochet. https://mijocrochet.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/lost-in-time-shawl-sjal/  I have a feeling that many more of her patterns are in my future.  They are beautiful and I have a stash of yarn to use. I have just joined the Prayer Shawl Ministry at church so I’m planning on several shawls and baby blankets.

As I was working on it I had the urge to turn it into a straight blanket.  So while I wassupposed to have been preparing for vacation, I’ve been spending my evenings crocheting, frogging, calculating algebra and crocheting again to figure out how to turn a triangle into a rectangle.  Johanna gave me permission to share my blanket but the pattern is hers, so please refer to her website for more details.


2 Caron Cakes in Cherry Chip

H Hook (Furls)



This blanket has a repeat of 36 stitches.  My blanket was 111 stitches wide (3×36 plus 3 end stitches).  I chained 112 to start.  Each row then has 111 stitches (you have no idea how long it took me to figure out how to make every row the same length).  I found it really important to COUNT AFTER EVERY ROW.  An error in the early rows can mean an extra shell further up and that just won’t work . . . trust me I had the frogged yarn piles to prove it.


I prefer to have the turning chains not count as stitches so I just chain 2 for DC rows and 1 for SC rows (blue circles on the chart).  This is different from Johanna’s pattern.

Be really careful at either end of each row.  Make sure you don’t stitch into spaces that aren’t there, especially in rows 1-6.

The green sections in rows 9-12 are just highlighting that the first and last shells are different.  They only have seven stitches instead of eight.

This is about half way through. Just need to take a break as I’m off on vacation and am choosing to take only unstarted projects to save space in the suitcase. 


Begin the Beguine Square

I came across an interesting looking CAL (Crochet A Long) recently that I’m thinking about following along with. This “Begin The Beguine” square is the first square of an Afghan that is being created. I don’t have a need for an Afghan right now so I’m thinking of making them into pot holders. We’ll see how this goes. 

This is my first attempt with Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Cotton in Turquoise with an H hook. It turned out a little bigger than I would like and a little loose so I’m going down a hook size. 

This is Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Cotton in Aqua Sparkle with a G Hook. I like the tighter finish and we’ll just ignore the fact that 3% metallic polyester content probably isn’t a good idea for a pot holder. 

At the advice of many in the Facebook group for this CAL, I’m making the “join” in the corner rather than along one side. I experimented with different joining methods on the aqua Sparkle square and settled on working continuous rounds. After the first round I slip stitched over to the corner then at the end of each round I just start the corner with a SC and follow the pattern from there.