I am somehow drawn to Russian patterns which makes deciphering them a bit tricky. This one had videos though so after studying them for more time than I care to admit, I managed to make Zoe a new hat. . . now whether this will replace the $3 Doc McStuffins one she has from Target remains to be seen.
I followed these you tube videos:
Jasmine Stitch Hat
Jasmine Stitch Decrease
Caron Cakes in Bumbleberry (about 1/3 of a cake for this size)
F hook (my lovely Furls turquoise hook)
I measured Zoe’s head at 19 1/2 inches. Then made a chainless foundation DC row that stretched to that distance. The had has ended up a little tight though so I would not stretch it quite so much next time. I needed there to be a multiple of 3 stitches so I had 51 DCs to make 17 “stars” per round.
According to my trusty chart from Petals to Picots, this hat should be 7.25-7.5″ tall. Each round measured 1″ and the brim measured 0.5″ so I figured I’d need 7 rounds. . . now I messed up and miscalculated my decreases so I’m planning on showing what I did with this hat and what I’d do next time.
3 rounds of 17 stars. Count the centers of each flower in order to count accurately.
Round 1: Skip 2 DC between each set of petals.
Rounds 4+: To decrease, split the final petal between two holes. I started out with one loop in the first then two in the second hole but I will do two in each hole next time.
3 rounds of 17 stars then:
I’m not loving the FPDC/BPDC brims that seem to be on all my hats lately so tried going back to the scallopped edge of one of the first hats I made for Zoe.
Join anywhere at the bottom of the hat with a slip stitch. Ch 3, 2 DC in same DC. *Skip 2 sts, SC, skip 2 sts, 5 DC in next st*. Repeat from * to * around until reach the final three sts. Skip 1 st, SC, skip 1 st, 2 DC in first fan. Join with slip stitch to 3rd ch.